Friday, April 11, 2014

trouble putting on compression stockings? or getting them off?

Here's the best solution I have found for putting on my elastic stockings, which I have to wear due to edema in my lower legs and feet. (The edema, or swelling, comes from insufficient recirculation of blood back to the heart.) Many seniors like me have this health issue.

My other problem is that I have hard time reaching my feet when it comes time to don my stockings each day, and getting them off as well. So I could not pull on my stockings by hand even if I wanted to.

Here's how:

Obtain a frame to stretch your stockings over. You can find the brand Jobst on the Internet; many websites carry the Jobst brand (Jobst Stocking Donner). The frame is metal with enamel coating, so it is easy to slip the stockings onto the frame. Then insert your foot, and the stocking peels off the frame and onto your foot.

The tighter the elastic pressure, the harder it is to pull a stocking on by hand, i.e., without a frame; but with the frame, even the tightest stocking goes on easily.

The best stocking doffer I have found is Sock-Eez. It is made of very smooth, heavy, curved plastic. You insert it on the side of your leg, and then push down. It peels the stocking off very nicely with no effort. It is long, so you would not have to bend way over to get a stocking off. You can find this product at the same websites where you would go to purchase a Jobst Donner. Or go to Sock-Eez website: www.sock-eez.com

No comments:

Post a Comment